Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Japan Rocked by Earthquakes

It was nearly an hour ago when we felt the tremors from inside our apartment. It was precisely 23:18 JST when Rodney and I were on the internet reading about today's tragic events of the earthquake in Niigata Prefecture measuring 6.8 magnitude, approximately 4 hours northeast of our location, by car. We stopped and watched the movement occuring around us. The light fixtures on the ceilings swayed back and forth. It felt as if it lasted for more than ten seconds. Strongest tremor I've felt since coming to Japan. Markus is still asleep in his bed. Immediately, I powered off our gas (which is what we're supposed to do first). This earthquake stemmed from off the west coast of Kyoto, about 4 hours away from us, in the opposite direction of Niigata. It measured at 6.6 magnitude.

This morning at approx. 10:15 JST, Rodney felt the aftershocks of the earthquake from Niigata, while at work. He described it as strong grinding movements. It was short and fortunately no one was injured at his workplace. At that time, I was busy doing laundry, while Markus played in the tatami room. I did not feel a thing.

It was a different story for us this afternoon while Markus and I napped on the couch. I was awaken by the aftershocks of yet another quake that hit Niigata at 15:37 JST. I didn't think much of it, until I realized the tall leaves of my Sansevieria plants were swaying and I could hear the floors and walls creek. By the time I got up, it subsided. I wasn't taking any chances, I still powered off the gas.

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, 17 earthquakes occurred today in Niigata with magnitudes that measured 3.4 magnitude and above on the Richter scale. Several others were accounted for that were smaller in size. Unfortunately today, many homes and villages were destroyed and a reported nine people died, while hundreds injured.

As we've already told our parents who have already phoned, we are fine...just a little 'shaken' up.

No comments: