Monday, June 09, 2008

Mom (Salazar) Japan Visit - Part 1


We were thrilled to welcome my mom to Tokyo. Overall, it was a pleasant trip for her despite catching a bug from someone on the 14-hour direct flight from Detroit. She arrived the same day that Rodney's mom and Aunt departed for the Philippines. I tell ya, we've become experts in the hospitality industry. It has been more than a pleasure to host our many visitors here in Tokyo.


On April 14, Markus and I picked my mom up by car...yes, I braved the Tokyo highways and drove from Itabashi (our area) to Narita Airport, which was nearly a two-hour drive. Naturally, I was nervous since first of all, besides the fact that our car navigation system is outdated, it's all in Japanese. Secondly, in Tokyo I find many folks can be erratic drivers and it doesn't help that motorcyclists are permitted to split lanes, which is prohibited in our hometown. Thirdly, I'm not so familiar with the roads and getting lost would terrify me. Bearing it all in mind, we made it safely to and from the airport with no problems. Since then, I've built enough confidence to drive more often, taking chances navigating to unfamiliar locations.





My mom's very first ride on the Tokyo Metro Train system. This was taken at Kamiitabashi station heading for Ikebukuro on the Tobu Tojo Line.
















UENO ZOO


On April 15, we took a trip to Ueno Zoo. Everytime is like the first time for Markus. He gets so excited when we arrive at the familiar Ueno Station. He held onto my my mom's hand eager to show her the animals, as if they were his own. I swear he memorizes the locations of most animal exhibits. He could be a junior tour guide, I'm sure of it!


Our last photo of "Ling-Ling", the Giant Panda


(September 1985 - April 30, 2008)


Sadly, Ling-Ling, the giant panda donated by China, passed away about two weeks after our visit. He was the main attraction at the Ueno Zoo and served as an important symbol of friendship between Japan and China. Daily, patrons would line up to see him in his cove. Most times he would be asleep, but on his genki days, he would roam around the outdoor space, chewing bamboo. Ling-Ling was the oldest panda in Japan. He died at the age of 22 due to heart failure and old age. We were lucky enough to see him one last time.






We spent a warm sunny day enjoying the sights of beautiful animals.
















































Our child absolutely LOVES anything related to animals!















This eccentric-looking animal is called an Okapi. It has a unique tongue long enough to reach his eyelids. Its' natural habitat is in the Congo in Africa. Markus just loved watching the okapi reach up as it lashed its tongue out to grab leaves from the tree.







Markus thinks the rhinos resemble dinosaurs. I agree.






In the Vivarium, the temperature is kept at high humidity levels important for the survival of the animals. On display are many reptilian species, amphibians, fish, turtles, snakes and a very large crocodile.





Yikes!







Though my mom arrived just a week short of the cherry blossom season, one sakura tree in all of Ueno park continued to bloom beautifully.






















The following day we had breakfast with Keiko at a Hawaiian-themed waffle restaurant in Ikebukuro. After satisfying our appetites, I just had to give my mom a shopping tour around town.






After some powerful shopping, I treated mom to a reflexology foot massage. Below, the therapist is preparing mom for her 30-minute session. My mom loved the first-time experience, claiming her body felt relaxed and her feet refreshingly soothed.



According to Wikipedia, "reflexology, or zone therapy, is the practice of massaging, squeezing, or pushing on parts of the feet, or sometimes the hands or ears, with the goal of encouraging a beneficial effect on other parts of the body, or to improve general health."

You can find reflexology boutiques at just about every corner in Tokyo. The practice has become quite popular to both women and men. Being pregnant, I was advised by the therapist that I should wait at least six months into my pregnancy before having it done.


We enjoyed my mom's company during the 12-day visit and brought her to many places to maximize her short stay, while absorbing as much of the Japanese culture as possible.


More to come...

No comments: